Things I've learned after being in Taiwan for (almost) 1 Month.

To start: you would think that after being in a place for a month you would learn a great deal. That does not apply here.
                  I'm a believer in continously learning and growing with each new adventure, and to not look at a situation with eyes that are prepared, but rather try to keep your heart, eyes, and brain open to new things. I genuinely felt emotionally prepared for Taiwan seeing as we went to China almost exactly 2 years prior, but again that was not the case.

               Taiwan is a new animal- it has new smells, new culture, and weather I was not prepared for. I was a little prepared and a lot of my old Chinese came back to me, and I recognized a lot of the symbols, so that was nice, but this is a whole new teaching environment with cultural aspects that were very different than my ILP china and private tutoring of Chinese kids didn't prepare me for. Since I don't have a very good way with words, instead I compiled a list of things I've learned after being here, along with some pictures that perfectly describe this as well. I'll probably go into detail in another post about life here and what each week has been like, since every day is an adventure, but for right now I just want to focus on Taiwan and the grasp I currently have on it (or lack of one depending on the day.)

  1. Taiwan is NOT China. I knew that coming into it, but Taiwan is a beautiful conglomerate of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean culture and everyday I see something knew that really blows my mind. Also bowing, totally different.
  2. Acid rain is a real thing. It's not melting off my skin or anything, but you are dirtier standing in that rain here than standing in the rain in the U.S. I don't suggest it... especially if you saw the rash on my hands right now.
  3. Street food is STILL life. I lived for street food in China and was very upset when our funds went to Medical bills and I couldn't eat my weight in food anymore. We have eaten out almost everyday since we've been here, and surprisingly enough it doesn't break the bank the way it does in the U.S. I knew it would be cheap, but not noodles-so-filling-they-last-two-meals cheap AND amazing.
  4. Teaching is still one my favorite things to do. My kids annoy, bother, challenge, and rile me up. But I love every ounce of them. I have only taught them for 3 weeks, but I am so invested in their education and their happiness. I hurt when they struggle and I get so excited when I see them get a concept. They probably think I’m the meanest teacher, but I know they enjoy class because if they didn’t they wouldn’t give me their snacks during break time.
5. My soul was ready for another adventure. Even though we had our Bryan Road Trip I was ready to be living somewhere new. We had been in logan a solid 2 years and I was starting to get stir crazy. I was bored of my life because it was all work and no play. We have always been blessed with the ability to travel and we leave the country a lot, but there was something about coming to Taiwan that was just calling to me. I was/am so grateful for Katelin for bringing this up first because I had been missing China, not just being there but living there and experiencing a new way of life. I feel like every time we move it’s spring cleaning for my soul. I was ready to be a stranger in a new place. I find so much joy in learning somewhere and being a dumb foreigner, because without that humbling experience I would be this cocky person too confident and set in my ways. Moving across the world makes you realize what are vital parts or yourself and what are not. I’ve been more open to cleansing myself of things not necessary, whether it was clothes, people, or habits. I’m forever grateful for this experience and we aren’t halfway done yet.

6. The people make or break the experience. We lucked out so much that we have such amazing friends and roommates. Megan and Katelin are great to be with and I’m glad we are here with them. Especially with Megan as my co-teacher it really makes teaching so much easier, because she does 90% of the work and I just grade things (it’s a nice break since I have the most teaching hours.) I’m just grateful it worked out that it’s us 4 because I wouldn’t trade any of us for anyone.


Overall : Everything is great here in Taiwan. I am really enjoying my time here, even with my phone breaking and that shenanigans, and I will value this experience forever. 

Comments

Popular Posts